Thursday, August 11, 2011

Type.

On Typography:
I love type. I love design. I love branding. 
I love looking at type. I love looking at design. I love looking at branding.
"Type is saying things to us all the time.. Typefaces express a mood and atmosphere..they give words a certain coloring." Helvetica
The documentary film Helvetica expresses many different opinions about what type should express.
All I know is that one of my biggest pet-peeves is when someone uses the wrong typeface and when design does not express what is trying to be conveyed. Typefaces are what convince you to buy a certain product whether you realize it or not. I know most people don't really care about type & design and some have probably never even given it thought. But for me, being an Art major in school, this is all we were trained to think about.

On the first day of Typography class my graphic design teacher said something along the lines of "this class will ruin you..you will never look at Type or design the same way again." She was right. It's almost annoying how much it has effected me. I am now a critic. I don't pretend to know how to produce 'good design' myself (I have a lot to work on) but my eyes sure think they know what it looks like.
(Random fact: Helvetica is the typeface you see the most in advertising today.. you just may not know it. It is everywhere. It can change into so many different forms..)
"The typeface invites open interpretation.. Helvetica says everything" Helvetica

0 comments:

Post a Comment